– The award-winning HAT Smart program announces its 2017 program, with energy conservation and renewable energy savings for City of Medicine Hat utility customers.
“This program continues to grow in popularity as people see the dual benefits of participation – saving money and saving energy,” said Jaret Dickie, Manager of Utilities Business Support for the City. “We are pleased to say that in 2016 the City reached an all-time high in terms of applications received. We encourage everyone to plan ahead to take advantage of the 2017 incentives. As always, we remind people to apply early as funding is limited.”
A new incentive being introduced in 2017 is Drain Water Heat Recovery. This system takes advantage of hot water going down the drain by preheating the cold water before it enters the water heater, considerably reducing water heating needs. Rebates continue in 2017 for Attic Insulation, Solar Electric projects, and Scratch & Win. The Scratch & Win program gives utility customers the chance to win back the cost of small ticket energy conservation items.
The HAT Smart program has paid out an average incentive amount of $316 and processed over 14,500 applications totaling more than $4.6 million between 2008 and 2016. The program raises awareness and provides education about the importance of reducing our environmental impact and supports renewable energy projects throughout the city.
The HAT Smart program is funded through collection of an Environmental Conservation Charge with a total of $210,000 allocated for the 2017 program.
Find out more about incentive programs and renewable energy projects at www.hatsmart.ca.
- 30 -
For further information, please contact:
Environmental Sustainability Officer,
Utilities Business Support
City of Medicine Hat
Highlights of HAT Smart’s 2017 Program
The City of Medicine Hat is pleased to launch its 2017 HAT Smart program. Funding for residential incentives comes from the Environmental Conservation Charge (formerly known as the Energy Conservation Charge). This is a surcharge levied against high electric and natural gas consumption, which is returned to the community through HAT Smart rebates. This round of funding is available from January 1, 2017 to December 31, 2017 or until funds run out.*
Attic Insulation – $85 to a maximum of $500
• Pre and post-inspection audits are required to qualify for this rebate
• The post-inspection audit is paid for by HAT Smart
• Reduces electrical (air conditioning) and natural gas (furnace) consumption
Drain Water Heat Recovery – 50% to a maximum of $500
• A new incentive to capture heat from drain water to preheat cold water entering the water heater
• Must be on Natural Resource Canada’s list of approved products
• Reduces natural gas consumption
Solar Electric – $1,000 per kW to a maximum of $5,000
• Applicants must be on the City of Medicine Hat electrical grid to be eligible
• Purchase and Lease installations qualify; size determined by the City’s Electrical Utility
• Reduces electricity consumption
Scratch and Win – $200 maximum
• Two scratch tickets per calendar year offering a rebate of up to $100 each per utility account
• Eligible items must save on electricity and/or natural gas
• A list of eligible items is available online at www.hatsmart.ca
*The total residential incentive funding for 2017 is $210,000. Residents are encouraged to submit completed applications early as funding is limited. Regular updates will be provided throughout the year.
For more information on available rebates and the current status of remaining funds, visit www.hatsmart.ca or contact HAT Smart at 403.502.8799.